Saturday, March 10, 2007

trip to DC...

So, I realized I never posted anything about my trip to DC in February....well, I've put together a photo-essay. Hope you enjoy

This is the DC Youth Hostel where I spent my magical weekend!
The room I stayed in at the Hostel.
My bunk...lucky #7!
The BEST place I ate during my entire time in DC, Ben's Chili Bowl! If you're in the area you should definitely check it out. It's at U & 13th St. NW.
Inside the Chili Bowl.
Ben's rocked my culinary world!
The arch in Chinatown. Chinatown is a hoppin' place day or night!
National Museum of the American Indian
The blog owner outside the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI).
NMAI
View from front of the NMAI looking towards the Capitol. I love the placement of the trash bin to catch any crappy legislation they try to send to Indian Country!
Raven Steals the Sun by my favorite artist, Preston Singletary (Tlingit)
Maybe the coolest thing in the NMAI, a fully beaded pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars!
A HUGE wall 'guns! Does anyone remember that scene from Demolition Man where Sylvester Stallone breaks into a museum to get some guns?
A wall o'Bibles in indigenous languages...similar to the wall o'guns.
A Bible with buckskin cover and quillwork.
A beaded bag with Bl. Kateri Tekakwitha
A DC-3...it's the plane my granpa flew during WWII and his entire career.
The Spirit of St. Louis
The helicopter that Ross Perot flew around the world.
Does Harvard have to be everywhere?
Space Monkey! A monkey (stuffed, I hope!) they sent into space.
The museum is closed for renovations, so they have an exhibit at the Air & Space Museum where they've displayed these gems American History...
Kermit the Frog
R2D2 & C3PO
Prince's guitar, Tito Puente's drums, and you can just see Dizzy Gillespie's trumpet.
The Seinfeld puffy shirt, with Mr. Rogers' sweater (right) and Archie Bunker's chair (left).
Don't bother unless you have kids and want to occupy them for about an hour. One of the few DC attractions that charges admission...and not worth it!
Ummm...I thought it was obvious?

A view of the Capitol looking down Pennsylvania Ave., and yes I'm standing in the middle of the street to get this shot!
View of the Washington Memorial from the top of the Lincoln Memorial (you can see the WWII Memorial just in front of the Washington Memorial).
That would be the blog owner with the Washington Memorial and the Smithsonian Castle in the background.
The White House
Me at the White House.
Scary security dude on top of the White House!
The Boy Scout Memorial.
Is anyone else creeped out by the naked guy standing behind the Boy Scout?

World War II Memorial

Portion of Roosevelt's famous speech.
Looking toward the Atlantic side of the Memorial.
The Pacific side of the Memorial.
Looking towards the Lincoln Memorial.
Looking towards the Washington Memorial.
Florida.
Each of these pillar-things represents a state or territory of the US during the War.
Oklahoma.
Massachusetts.
As a friend of mine said..."Damn skippy!"
The Atlantic side of the Memorial.
Looking towards the Pacific side from the Atlantic.
This wall of stars is in memory of those that lost their lives during the war.
Harry Truman quote.
Korean War Memorial
Vietnam War Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
There's a hell of a lot of steps on this thing...and they were icy!
But I made it to the top and this is was my reward!
Freaky entries for the design of the Lincoln Memorial...can you imagine if one of these had won?
~~~~~
Well, there you have it...my trip to DC in a very few short photos (I took over 400!). It was a great time and I definitely needed the time away from Boston.
Thanks be to God and Boomer Sooner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home