Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Life at HDS...

The HDS Democrats have been having a movie night series. This coming Tuesday they are planning on watching Left Behind (movie info, Left Behind series info).

My problem is that they are planning on watching this in order to mock it. There doesn't seem to be any recognition that this is representative of many, many peoples faith. It is just assumed that everyone knows this is silliness.

It really upset me that this is what they are doing. I know, I know, you're saying perhaps I'm being overly sensitive. However, there have been many comments on the facebook event page that are outright mocking of the movie; and I'm not talking about the merits of the filmmaking. There is a post referring to an article from The Onion that mocks Christian faith. There is also a person to person post (these things are public on facebook for anyone who isn't aware) that asks, again mockingly, if the person is "one of the 144,000."

Please note that I'm not arguing the fine theological points of eschatology.

Now, I'm most definitely one who understands humor and also understands that God has a sense of humor. But, I have a serious problem with people who feel the need to make those who actually have faith and beliefs less than.

This is simply not right and is illustrative of HDS and its interactions with people who actually believe Christ and His message.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home