Tuesday, June 13, 2006

It's a Big Week and beginning of a Big Summer

Well, this is a pretty big week and is really what is kicking off the summer for me.

First of all Monday was the move out day for everyone who isn't staying in the dorm over the summer. So, the building is really empty right now...there are only 3 rooms out of 13 on my floor occupied right now. But, new people for the summer will be moving in about a week and a half from now and then it will be a whole new community. I'm interested to meet some of these new people, some of which will be staying here in the fall.

Also on Monday, I began my summer internship at the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography here on the Harvard campus. It's an eight week internship and I'll be floating between three departments so that I can get a glimpse of the inner workings of a museum. My first task is to develop a preliminary survey of educators and the public to develop an exhibit on the Harvard Indian College.

Most people are unaware that the original charter of Harvard, which is still in effect, called for the "education of English and Indian youth..." and towards that end the Harvard Overseers created the short lived Harvard Indian College in 1653, which closed in 1670 following the Pequot War (also known as King Philip's War). For over 300 years, Caleb Cheeshahteamuck (Wampanoag), Class of 1665 was the only American Indian graduate of Harvard.

So, anyway, I'm really excited and looking forward to that. The majority of my other time at the museum will be spent in the Conservation Department where I'll be working on the Native American collections in the museum (the Peabody has one of the largest Native American collections in the world. It's looking like an amazing opportunity!

So, other than the internship, my best friend here at Harvard left today for Emory University in Atlanta. I already miss him!

Now I've got about a week and a half to settle into my new internship before the new residents show up and I start my summer language work in Theological Spanish! Man, what was I thinking? Isn't summer supposed to be vacation time? Oh, well...

Thanks Be to God and Boomer Sooner!
Feast of St. Anthony of Padua

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home