Thursday, September 13, 2007

Church, football, Sooner joke & life...

Church update...
Thanks to everyone who left comments after my post (here) on my dilemma with church right now. I haven't found a solution to my problem yet. I've still considering going to a Protestant church, but haven't done so yet. Nor have I been to Mass (I know, I know).

I will say that I have started listening to a couple of Podcasts and I've started listening to Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) more lately. I know a lot of conservative Catholics, especially the Latin Mass enthusiasts, find CCM to be really troublesome and not good quality. But, having grown up Protestant with that style hymnody, I really find CCM to be very uplifting. I find my entire mood changes when I'm listening to CCM...even my spiritual mood, which is awesome in my book. But, as I said, I'm still not going to church.

I really appreciate everything that was said, and I will even make a couple of comments on the comments.

---Eucharistic Adoration
Yes, Rebecca, I have kept Eucharistic Adoration at various times in my life. Right now is, admittedly, not one of those times. Perhaps it is something I should try again...I'll think about it.
And thanks for the encouragement to know that JPII and Mother Theresa also suffered times of doubt or darkness. It always helps to know one isn't alone.

---TLM
And, thanks to you, YoungCatholicSTL, for suggesting I might find what I'm missing by attending a Traditional Latin Mass (TLM). I admit that I've never been to one and don't even know if one is available in my area. I don't currently have a car, so that does curtail my ability to make it to different parishes in the area also. If I could find a TLM in the area that I could get to given my transport deficiency I would probably go just out of curiosity. However, I'm still not convinced that I would like the Mass in Latin. I really believe, that no matter what else, if the Mass was still said exclusively in Latin I would never have considered entering the Church. Again, I'm reserving judgement, but I'm skeptical.

---and thanks to
Thanks to Buckeye Catholic who gave some sound advice, to Steve who can relate, and to Melessa for reminding me I'm not alone.

I'll be sure to keep updating on this. I think this may just be a process I need to work through...and hopefully I'll come out with an even stronger faith in the end.

Football
Holy Cow! My Sooners opened up a great big'ol can of whoop ass on the Miami Hurricanes, beating the U 51-13! It was an amazing game. The only way it could have been better is if I had been watching it with other OU fans. But, seeing as I'm in central New York there aren't that many Sooners around here. Though I have met one person at the school I work at who got a PhD from OU.

Sam Bradford is lookin' flat dang amazing! I know everyone is surprised at how good the team looks at this point, but let's be honest, we all knew the team was going to be good and that the only question was if Stoops could find a QB. Well, I don't know what rock Stoops found Sam Bradford, but we need to have that rock put on a pedastal and stored in the Switzer Center!

We started out the season #8, moved to #5 after the opener, then jumped to #3 after the Miami win. Now, if only USC or LSU would lose.

Sooner Joke of the Week
So, after the joke about creation I thought I'd add a new section to my blog weekly called Sooner Joke of the Week. Here's this week's joke:

What does a University of Texas graduate say to a Sooner?
Would you like fries with that?

Life in general
Life is fairly good right now. I'm really liking my job. I went through a little bump with the students a couple of weeks ago, but it's looking really good right now. I'm working a bunch of hours, but I'm really not mindng since I like the job so much.

The recruitment season for me will start in earnest in a couple of weeks and then I'll be on the road for about 17 days in October. I'm excited about it though.

That's about it for now.

Thanks Be to God and Boomer Sooner!

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Rebecca Frech said...

Glad to read that you are well, sorry to read that you are still struggling. We have remembered you in our family rosary ever since the original post and will continue to do so as long as you need it.

There is a simplicity to CCM which can be very easy when times are hard. Listen to it if it helps. I often find that the liturgical music of my childhood can return me to that point of innocent trust if only for a moment.

There are times when everything else has failed, and then I turn to my Bible. I know, a Catholic telling you to read the Bible? I find that the Old Testament id very good when the soul is dark.

A joke for you:
"What do an OSU graduate and a tornado have in common?"

A. They both will end up in a trailer park.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home