Saturday, August 26, 2006

Teach for America

So, while the entire rest of the free world has started classes, we don't start classes at Harvard Divinity for another couple of weeks on Sept. 18. I have to admit I really like the time off after having such a busy summer, but I'm sort of becoming a little bored! I keep telling myself that "only boring people get bored," but it isn't helping!

So as I prepare to enter my second, and final, year here at HDS I've been thinking about what the next step in my life is going to be. I've pretty well decided that I want to do Teach for America (TFA).

In case you're not familiar with TFA, it is a non-profit program that takes recent college graduates and trains them to be teachers in school districts around the country that have trouble finding teachers, these districts are all in inner-city (New York, LA, Miami) or rural areas (North Carolina, Mississippi, South Texas).

Basically, you volunteer to teach in one of these areas for two years and you get paid whatever a teacher in those districts are paid. I really like the idea as it is a way to pay back everything that has been given to me in being allowed an opportunity at an education.

Anyway, TFA has sites in South Dakota and New Mexico that serve the Pine Ridge, Rosebud, Navajo and Zuni Pueblo reservations. I'm really excited at the opportunity to work with one of these communities. So, any how, I really hope it works out. I've been praying about it and I think this is what I'm supposed to be doing right now.

On another note, it's 1 week until the Sooners kick-off!!!!


Thanks Be to God and Boomer Sooner!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home