Monday, December 25, 2006

Am I being called?

Am I being called? What is God asking of me? These are questions I’ve been pondering a lot lately.

Very few people are aware of the fact that I’ve been considering a vocation to the priesthood. I want to say that this is a recent development, but in actuality it is something I’ve thought of off and on for many years now.


Oftentimes, people will ask me if I have ever considered the priesthood and I often try to avoid the subject…sometimes with an outright “No,” sometimes answering, “It isn’t my plan.”

I really like the second answer best, because it is the most honest. No matter what happens, I definitely know that this is not my plan…it can only be God’s plan. All I need to do is be open to His plan and willing to follow it no matter the cost or consequences.

I would like to simply answer with a resounding “Yes!” I am willing to follow whatever path the Lord lays before me, but in many ways I’m scared of this path. I’m scared that I might not be capable of such a sacrifice. I’m afraid of my unworthiness to serve the Lord. I ask myself if I'm brave enough to give up everything and hear his call to, "Follow me and I'll make you fishers of men?" I hope so...and I must therefore constantly remind myself of Christ’s admonition to the Apostles, “Be not afraid!”

In that spirit, I have recently begun the process of discernment by speaking with one of the Catholic chaplains here at Harvard and also have contacted the vocations director for my home diocese. I don’t know where exactly the Lord is leading me, but I ask for your prayers and support as I attempt to discern His plan for my life.

Thanks Be to God and Boomer Sooner!
Christmas day, Rejoice for our Savior is born!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

How wonderful! May you go whereever God is leading you. Remember - "It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you"
(John 15:16)

If you would ever like to join Holy Vocations, please just ask.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Laura H. said...

God bless your leap of faith! Prayers for you as you begin this journey...

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers headed your way! May God bless you abundantly on your path to Him (whatever direction it leads).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home