Wednesday, June 06, 2007

100 things...

I saw this 100 Things meme on some other blogs and thought I'd give it a whirl. It's harder than it looks. For the first 50 I kind of gave a life story, and the next 50 are more random. Hope you enjoy.
1. I’m from Ft. Myers, Florida.
2. Graduated in 1990 from Riverdale High School in Lee County, Florida.
3. I spent 4 years working for a law firm after high school.
4. Then I went to work delivering pizza for Domino’s.
5. Ended up spending seven years with Domino’s and eventually managed my own store.
6. My paternal grandparents raised me.
7. After the death of my grandparents (grandpa in 1994, grandma in 1996) I decided to go to college.
8. I moved half way across the country to Oklahoma City with the intention of going to the University of Oklahoma (I moved without having been admitted first).
9. I entered OU in the fall of 1997.
10. School didn’t suit me after having not gone in 7 years, so I dropped out of OU in the fall of 1998.
11. But I stayed in Norman, Oklahoma.
12. I was raised in the Methodist Church and my maternal grandpa was a Methodist minister.
13. My best friend is also a Methodist minister…in Ft. Gibson, Oklahoma.
14. But around 1999 I felt called to the Catholic Church and began the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) process.
15. I was confirmed on Easter Sunday 2000 at St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church in Norman, Oklahoma.
16. I think it may have been the best decision of my life.
17. Though, sometimes I miss the Methodist/Protestant style of worship.
18. After joining the Church I started taking classes in 2000-2001 in Pastoral Ministry from Newman University which is in Wichita, Kansas, but the courses were through a satellite program run by the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City.
19. That is what made me want to return to school full time.
20. And in the fall of 2002 I returned to the University of Oklahoma.
21. I double majored in Native American Studies and Religious Studies.
22. I became heavily involved in the American Indian Student Association and their support helped me to finish school.
23. Myself and seven friends started an American Indian fraternity (though, you don’t have to be Indian to be a member) known as Sigma Nu Alpha Gamma: The Society of Native American Gentlemen on October 22, 2004.
24. It is one of my proudest college accomplishments.
25. I graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a BA degree in 2005.
26. Naturally, I am a rabid Sooner fan! BOOMER!
27. After graduation I spent the summer working at a jewelry store (I learned a lot ladies!).
28. Then I moved back across the country to Cambridge, Massachusetts.
29. Where I became a student at Harvard Divinity School.
30. Here’s a secret…Harvard isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
31. But, I’ve managed to survive and will graduate on June 7, 2007!
32. With a Masters of Theological Studies (MTS) degree.
33. My academic research focuses on the intersection of American Indian traditions and Christianity.
34. Hence my entry into the Divinity School.
35. When I first came to Harvard I got a job in the Manuscripts and Archives office of the Andover-Harvard Theological Library, it was really interesting.
36. During the summer of 2006 I was an intern at the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology at Harvard.
37. Then the museum hired me as a Graduate Research Assistant and I’m still working there as of now.
38. But, I’ve just taken a job at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY and will be moving there in a few weeks.
39. I will be working in the American Indian Program as a Student Services professional.
40. The best thing about Harvard is the Harvard University Native American Program (HUNAP)…if it wasn’t for them I would have dropped out of Harvard (it was that bad!).
41. Did you know that Harvard was founded for the "education of English and Indian youth?" Seriously, it's in the Harvard Charter of 1650 which is still in full effect.
42. While at Harvard I lived in Rockefeller Hall (Rock) which is Divinity School housing.
43. I’m one of the last students to live in Rock as they are turning it into offices and classrooms after we move out this year…it’s really sad :-(
44. Even though I haven’t had the best time at Harvard academically, I’ve made some awesome friends and met really interesting people and I’m truly thankful for that.
45. If you count the time from January of 1999 to August of 2002 when I wasn’t in school full-time, but was part-time, I’ve been in school for 10 years!
46. Eight of those years were as an undergrad.
47. Which is why it’s so hard to believe that I will have a graduate degree in only two years…forget the fact it’s going to be from Harvard.
48. Needless to say, I’m bloody tired of writing papers and doing homework.
49. Yet, I’m still considering pursuing a doctorate degree in a few years.
50. But I definitely need a break from being a student.
51. Now some random information…I love to fish, though I haven’t had the opportunity to do it often enough.
52. I love to go camping.
53. I’m an Eagle Scout.
54. When I was in high school I wanted to study international business in college.
55. My first car was a 1982 Plymouth Gran Fury that my grandparents picked out…I hated that car (I wanted a truck).
56. I miss my grandparents immensely.
57. I love, love, love baseball.
58. When I was growing up I was a huge, huge fan of the Atlanta professional team…they were the only team in the south back then.
59. But, while in college I developed political differences with them over the use of American Indians as mascots.
60. Now I’m a rabid Boston Red Sox fan.
61. But, it has nothing to do with me living in Massachusetts; it’s because the Red Sox do spring training in my hometown of Ft. Myers, Florida.
62. I’m not a huge NFL fan…it’s ok, but college ball is far superior.
63. But I follow the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFC and the New England Patriots in the AFC (even before I moved to Massachusetts).
64. I don’t follow the NBA much either.
65. I was a pretty big Orlando Magic fan until Shaquille O’Neil sold out to the Lakers…now I sort of follow the Dallas Mavericks.
66. Being an alum of the University of Oklahoma I pretty much bleed Crimson and Cream…GO SOONERS!
67. I love my Lord Jesus Christ with all my being.
68. I’ve even thought of entering the Catholic priesthood.
69. Who knows, if Jesus wants me, he’ll get me.
70. The Beatles and U2 are tied for my favorite band of all time.
71. I listen to just about any kind of music, but mostly Country, 70s-early 90s music, and Contemporary Christian.
72. I really like Big Band music from the 40s though…it’s because of my grandparents.
73. My favorite movie is Good Will Hunting.
74. My favorite album is U2 The Joshua Tree.
75. My favorite book is Custer Died for Your Sins by Vine Deloria.
76. My favorite actor is Jimmy Stewart.
77. My favorite actress is Irene Bedard.
78. I love old westerns…even the cheesy ones.
79. If I were a movie character I would be Rex from Toy Story (my friends told me this, and they’re probably right).
80. My favorite color is royal blue.
81. My favorite meal is chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and white gravy.
82. My favorite type of international food is Thai.
83. I’m a Netflix whore…they send movies to your door!
84. I actually like Ramen Noodles.
85. I had the same backpack from my freshman year thru graduate school…that must be some kind of record.
86. Since I spent so long working at Domino’s I pretty much can’t smell or taste pizza anymore.
87. My favorite restaurant is Jana’s Thai in Norman, Oklahoma.
88. My favorite chain restaurant is a tie between Chili’s and IHOP.
89. I go to IHOP just because of their blueberry syrup…seriously, it’s the bomb!
90. I use Pert shampoo…all my female friends think I’m insane.
91. I’m going to Ghana next year for a friends wedding…it will be my first trip out of the country.
92. I tend to be an instigator and will say things just to get people going (hehe).
93. I have three adopted little sisters who live in Moore, Oklahoma.
94. My dream vehicle is a 1970s Ford F-Series pickup…I’m a simple man.
95. I get nauseous at the smell of sweet potatoes…can’t stand’em.
96. I don’t like coffee or tea…I’ve tried all the cream and sugar and it still didn’t help.
97. I drink Diet Coke like there’s no tomorrow.
98. My favorite beer is Sam Adams.
99. I even went to the Sam Adams brewery for my 34th birthday.
100. This was harder than I thought it would be.

Thanks Be to God and Boomer Sooner!

2 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott ... best wishes as you venture off to your new life and career at Cornell. We will all miss seeing you around campus (especially Adminssions and Financial Aid)!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Rebecca Frech said...

Scott,
It's too bad you left the SOONER state, we have so much in common, and it's hard to find people to go eat Thai food with here.

Just founf the blog and love it!

Good luck at the new job.

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home