Monday, October 08, 2007

Happy Holocaust Day!

Happy Holocaust Day!

Some people out there seem to think that Christopher Columbus is someone to be honored, and that people who speak out against him are liberal pc whackos. I wonder if they truly know what Columbus did and/or allowed those under him to do?

Perhaps they should read the diaries of the Dominican Friar Bartolome de Las Casas, and then they might have an idea what a butcher Columbus and the Spanish really were.

A blog author that I generally like to read, though often disagree with, recently labled one of his posts Maybe Colonialism Wasn't All Bad After All. Hmm, I don't think my ancestors would agree.

If anyone has a reason to complain about illegal immigration, it is the indigenous people of the so-called "Americas."

"[The Indians] suffered and died in the mines and others in desperate silence, knowing not a soul in the world to whom they could turn for help."

Bartolome de Las Casas, 1542


"I suppose that I should be ashamed to say that I take the Western view of the Indian. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1886


"What we have committed in the Indies stands out among the most unpardonable offenses ever committed against God and mankind and this trade [Indian slavery] as one of the most unjust, evil and cruel among them."
Bartolome de Las Casas

And finally, two videos for your viewing pleasure that speak to the misinformed belief that Columbus Day is an honorable holiday (the 2nd video is really good if you can get past the music of the first two minutes or so).



Hmm, it all makes me wonder why any of us ever accepted Christianity?

There's an old story that makes the rounds in Indian Country, it goes something like this:

Missionary: If you do not accept Christ as your savior you will go to hell.

Chief: If you had never told me of this Christ, and I never knew of him, would I still go to hell?

Missionary: No you would not got to hell for it would not be your fault if I had never come or you never learned of Christ.

Chief: Then why did you tell me of him?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home